Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology at Sri Krishna Adithya College of Arts and Science, affiliated to Bharathiar University, aims at training young, aspiring minds into well-oriented professionals in the field of understanding human behaviour. The department offers wide exposure to the students through varied activities, in addition to facilitating their expertise in the subject as directed by the syllabus prescribed by the University. Students are mentored to choose their area of specialization in their higher education, by providing them acquaintance to the different fields that promise application for Psychology. Students are encouraged to attend workshops, seminars and conferences as well as carry out research activities, presenting and publishing their work.
In addition to academics, the department runs Mind Engineers Club, which is open for participation to all students and staff members of the Sri Krishna Adithya family. The members of the club are offered educative sessions and training to apply the concepts of Psychology in day-to-day life, making them mentally healthy individuals. The department also offers counselling services to all stakeholders of the institution, providing free-of-cost assistance to the needy. Days of significance to Psychology are observed and various other programs are offered for the students and staff members of the college.
- To acquaint the students to the theories and systems of Psychology, strengthening their knowledge-base in the field of study
- To instill in them the art of applying the knowledge to practice, learning from the environment they are part of and in return adding value through their presence to the people around
- To promote research activities, facilitating students as social scientists, developing in them a drive of inquisitiveness and encouraging their contribution to the scientific literature
- To shape our students into leaders in the field of Psychology, moulding them into fully-functioning individuals, so as to make them career-ready
- To develop skills required for mental health professionals from the basics, making them well-informed of the theories and applications of the learning into practice
- To train the students as efficient performers, orienting them to an ethically sound practice in the field of mental health
The B.Sc. Psychology program describes accomplishments that graduates are expected to attain within five to seven years after graduation.
- To impart knowledge on the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends in psychology.
- To apply active learning principles in the field of Psychology and promote transfer of these learning principles to other fields of learning (clinical, education, research, human resources, etc.)
- To offer comprehensive training to understand and apply various inquiry skills, integrating research and scholarly activities into their academic and career development.
- To demonstrate effective communication skills with a professional convention, in line with the ethical standards posited by the professional bodies.
- To support students in cultivating skills of integrating scientific principles and knowledge with professional practice, to more effectively address the needs of individuals, families, groups, and society.
- Extending psychological support to students and staff members of the institution to ensure the well-being of our stakeholders.
- Inculcating experiential learning through diverse activities to facilitate the students in developing a practical orientation towards the subject.
- Promoting student interactions by organizing weekly meetings, wherein the students are given a platform to exhibit their extracurricular and co-curricular developments.
- Following edutainment practices to escalate the learning experience of the students.
|Rehabilitation of the Geriatric population||
Department of Psychology, Government Arts College, Coimbatore
|Conference Title||Date||Resource Persons||
Number of Participants
|Applications of psychological principles in learning||
Associate Professor & Head
Department of Psychology
Government Arts College, Coimbatore
|19/12/2020||Induction to Psychology||
Dr. Thamilselvan P
Assistant Professor of Psychology
PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore.
Mrs. G. Vidhya
Adyar Cancer Institute, Chennai.
|10/09/2020||Psychological first-aid for suicide prevention||
Mr. Santhosh Dhanushkodi
Consultant Clinical Psychologist,
Royal Care Super Specialty Hospital, Coimbatore
VARIOUS EVENTS ORGANIZED BY OUR DEPARTMENT
(Seminars / Workshops / Guest Lectures / Extension Activities )